cetirizine hydrochloride(redirected from Hayfever & Allergy Relief)
All-Day Allergy, Aller-Relief, Allergy Relief, Benadryl Allergy Oral Solution (UK), Benadryl One a Day (UK), Piriteze (UK), Pollenshield Hayfever (UK), Reactine, Zirtec (UK), Zyrtec
Pharmacologic class: Histamine1-receptor antagonist (peripherally selective)
Therapeutic class: Allergy, cold, and cough agent; antihistamine
Pregnancy risk category B
Antagonizes histamine's effects at histamine1-receptor sites, preventing allergic response. Also has mild bronchodilatory effects and blocks histamine-induced bronchoconstriction in asthma.
Syrup: 5 mg/5 ml
Tablets: 5 mg, 10 mg
⊘Indications and dosages
➣ Allergic symptoms caused by histamine release
Adults and children older than age 6: 5 to 10 mg P.O. daily
Children ages 2 to 5: 2.5 to 5 mg P.O. daily
• Renal impairment
• Hepatic impairment
• Hypersensitivity to drug or hydroxyzine
• Acute asthma attacks
• Angle-closure glaucoma
• Pyloroduodenal obstruction
Use cautiously in:
• renal impairment, significant hepatic dysfunction
• elderly patients
• pregnant patients
• children younger than age 2 (safety not established).
• Give with or without food.
• Administer at same time each day.
CNS: dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue
CV: palpitations, edema
GI: nausea, vomiting, abdominal distress, dry mouth
Musculoskeletal: myalgia, joint pain
Skin: photosensitivity, rash, angioedema
Drug-drug.CNS depressants: additive CNS effects
Theophylline: decreased cetirizine clearance
Drug-diagnostic tests.Allergy skin tests: false-negative results
Drug-behaviors.Alcohol use: additive CNS effects
Sun exposure: photosensitivity
• Monitor creatinine levels in patients with renal dysfunction.
• Assess hepatic enzyme levels in patients with hepatic disease.
• Tell patient to take with full glass of water.
• Inform patient that drug may impair alertness and that alcohol may exaggerate this effect.
• Caution patient to avoid driving and other hazardous activities until he knows how drug affects concentration and alertness.
• As appropriate, review all other significant and life-threatening adverse reactions and interactions, especially those related to the drugs, tests, and behaviors mentioned above.