food group(redirected from Green/yellow vegetables)
Also found in: Dictionary.
food groupA general term for a category of food that shares something in common with other members of the group, which includes:
• Carbohydrates (bread, cereals, rice, oats, pastas);
• Citrus fruits (grapefruits, lemons, melon, oranges, papaya, strawberries, tomatoes);
• Dairy products (cheese, milk, yoghurt);
• Fats (butter and margarine, fish and vegetable oils, animal fats);
• Green/yellow vegetables (Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, celery, green beans, kale, spinach);
• High-protein foods (eggs, fish, legumes, meat, nuts, poultry);
• Other fruits and vegetables (apples, bananas, grapes, pineapples; beets, potatoes);
• Yellow vegetables (carrots, corn, cauliflower).
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
food groupNutrition A family of foods in the diet. See Balanced diet, Essential dietary component, Food pyramid, Four food groups, Mineral, Vitamin.
Carbohydrates Bread, cereal, rice, oats, pastas
Citrus fruits Grapefruits, lemons, melon, oranges, papaya, strawberries, tomatoes
Dairy products Cheese, milk, yoghurt
Fats Butter, margarine, fish or vegetable oil, animal fat
Green/yellow vegetables Brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, celery, green beans, kale, spinach
High protein foods Eggs, fish, legumes, meat, nuts, poultry
Other fruits & vegetables Apples, bananas, grapes, pineapples; beets, potatoes
Yellow vegetables Carrots, corn, cauliflower
McGraw-Hill Concise Dictionary of Modern Medicine. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.