crofelemer(redirected from Fulyzaq)
Pregnancy Category: C
Symptomatic relief of non-infectious diarrhea in HIV-infected patients currently receiving antiretroviral therapy.
A natural product derived from Croton lechleri, a species of flowering plant.
Inhibits cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP)-stimulated cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CTFR) chloride ion channels and the calcium-activated chloride channels on luminal membranes of enterocytes. Blocks chloride secretion and water loss by inhibiting chloride channels on the membranes of enterocytes.
Decreased incidence and severity of diarrhea.
Absorption: Minimal absorption following oral administration.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown.
Contraindicated in: None noted.
Use Cautiously in: Infectious causes of diarrhea (evaluate and treat prior to use); Obstetric: Use during pregnancy only if clearly needed; Lactation: Breast feeding should be avoided by HIV-infected patients; Pediatric: Safe and effective use in children <18 yr has not been established.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Central nervous system
Ear, Eye, Nose, Throat
- upper respiratory tract infection
- abdominal distention
- ↑ liver function tests
- urinary tract infection
- back pain
- muscuoloskeletal pain
Drug-Drug interactionDue to minimal systemic absorption, interactions are unlikely.
Oral (Adults) 125 mg twice daily.
Delayed-release tablets: 125 mg
- Assess for abdominal distention, presence of bowel sounds, and usual pattern of bowel function.
- Assess color, consistency, and amount of stool produced.
Potential Nursing DiagnosesDiarrhea (Indications)
- Oral: Administer tablets twice daily with or without food. Swallow tablets whole; do not crush, break, or chew.
- Instruct patient to take crofelemer as directed.
- Advise female patients to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breast feeding.
- Decreased incidence and severity of diarrhea.