Federation for Healthcare Science
Federation for Healthcare ScienceAn overarching body, formed in 2002, for the professional organisations which represent healthcare scientists, providing a collective voice for healthcare science (HS) in the health service to the UK government, other healthcare professionals and to members of the public. The forty-plus professions, groups and disciplines within HS are grouped into 3 main sections, based primarily on the underlying branch of science from which they originate:
• Life sciences;
• Physiological sciences;
• Physical sciences and clinical engineering.
Federation for Healthcare Science aims
• Enhance the profile of HS and professions working within it. Emphasise roles relating to patient care, quality, clinical governance and health improvement;
• Shape and influence HS policy at the local and national level;
• Establish links with other national bodies and groups relevant to HS;
• Ensure an effective national forum for exchanging information and good practice in HS; support and resource networks of HS groups and professions at local and national level;
• Support emerging and changing HS disciplines and professional bodies;
• Develop and promote research in HS to support evidence-based practice and develop new techniques for patient benefit;
• Contribute to workforce planning, including recruitment and retention issues within HS;
• Advise on and respond to new technology and scientific developments and initiatives in HS, and advise on the implications for HS.