end of life

(redirected from EOL)
Also found in: Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

end of life

Cardiac pacing
noun The point at which a pacemaker signals a need for replacement, as its battery is nearing depletion.
 
Medspeak
adjective Referring to a final period (hours, days, weeks, months) in a person’s life, in which it is medically obvious that death is imminent or a terminal moribund state cannot be prevented. As in, end-of-life care.

End-of-life care—making decisions 
Initiate discussion: 
• Establish supportive doctor-patient relationship;
• Designate surrogate decision maker;
• Identify patient’s general preferences.
Clarify prognosis: 
• Keep message clear, avoid misunderstanding;
• Acknowledge prognostic limitations.
Identify end-of-life goals: 
• Determine if preferences have changed;
• Identify individual priorities.
Develop treatment plan: 
• Help patient understand treatment options;
• Discuss resuscitation;
• Discuss palliative care.
References in periodicals archive ?
Table 7 summarizes the social impacts of each EoL alternative for a keyboard.
A total of 41 (23%) of the patients died while on full support and 135 patients (77%) died after an EOL decision.
Early stage inclusion of people with expertise in product 'take-back facilitation' and 'environment' within the MADE team, should greatly improve the EoL value of the product being planned.
In all, 25 students (11%) felt that the education on EOL issues that they received in medical school was adequate to prepare them for future practice, while the rest (89%) were either unsure or felt inadequately prepared.
These health challenges highlight the need for people living with kidney disease to receive education regarding palliative and EOL care in an environment that supports their right to make informed decisions about their care needs.
The researchers found that proxies misjudged whether the centenarian thought about EOL in 44.3 percent of cases.
Whether the impact of the patient's EOL treatment experience extends to family members' own health care utilization is largely unknown.
"The company has successfully helped scores of customers worldwide transition from legacy and EOL systems to its state of the art Marina playout solution," the U.K.-based Pebble Beach notes.
The firm said, "Essar Oil Ltd (EOL) is seeking approval to change its corporate identity to Nayara Energy Ltd.
(6,7) Evidence for best practice is lacking, for example, regarding content and timing of advance care planning (ACP) including when to introduce palliative care team and end-of-life (EOL) discussions.
Iqbal also holds the portfolio of General Manager, EDB and using sanctioned Extra ordinary leave (EOL) from EDB took up the position as CEO, NIP on contractual basis.
The quality of end of life (EOL) care has important implications for the individual patient and also for their family, whose experience of EOL care will live on long after their loved one dies.