dornase alfa(redirected from Domase alfa)
Also found in: Dictionary.
dornase alfa[dor´nāz al´fah]
Pharmacologic class: Recombinant human deoxyribonuclease I
Therapeutic class: Cystic fibrosis agent, mucolytic enzyme, respiratory inhalant
Pregnancy risk category B
Selectively cleaves to DNA in sputum, decreasing viscosity of pulmonary secretions
Inhalation solution: 2.5-mg ampule (1 mg/ml)
Indications and dosages
➣ To reduce respiratory tract infections and improve pulmonary function in patients with cystic fibrosis
Adults and children: One ampule (2.5 mg) inhaled once daily; some patients may benefit from twice-daily dosing. Safety and efficacy of daily administration haven't been demonstrated for longer than 12 months.
• Hypersensitivity to drug, its components, or products derived from Chinese hamster ovary cells
Use cautiously in:
• pregnant or breastfeeding patients.
• Don't shake, dilute, or mix with other drugs.
• Use only with approved nebulizer.
• Discard cloudy or discolored solution.
CV: chest pain
EENT: conjunctivitis, rhinitis, pharyngitis, hemoptysis, voice changes
Respiratory: dyspnea, increased sputum, wheezing
Skin: rash, urticaria, pruritus
Other: hypersensitivity reactions
• Assess patient periodically. Report improvement in dyspnea and sputum clearance.
• Monitor for signs and symptoms of hypersensitivity reaction.
• Teach patient how to use nebulizer.
• Instruct patient to report rash, hives, and itching.
• As appropriate, review all other significant adverse reactions mentioned above.