dejection(redirected from Depression (mood))
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to Depression (mood): Mood disturbance
a mental state marked by sadness; the lowered mood characteristic of depression.
1. Synonym(s): depression (4)
2. The discharge of excrementitious matter.
3. The matter so discharged. Synonym(s): dejecta
[L. dejectio, fr. de- jicio, pp. -jectus, to cast down]
1. Reduction of the level of functioning.
2. A hollow or sunken area.
3. Displacement of a part downward or inward.
4. A temporary mental state or chronic mental disorder characterized by feelings of sadness, loneliness, despair, low self-esteem, and self-reproach; accompanying signs include psychomotor retardation or less frequently agitation, withdrawal from social contact, and vegetative states such as loss of appetite and insomnia.
1. The discharge of excrementitious matter.
2. The matter so discharged.
[L. dejectio, fr. de-jicio, pp. -jectus, to cast down]