simethicone(redirected from Dentinox Colic Drops)
Also found in: Dictionary.
simethicone (simeticone (UK))
Pharmacologic class: Methylated linear siloxane mixture
Therapeutic class: Antiflatulent, antifoam agent
Pregnancy risk category NR
Causes gas bubbles to coalesce and allows gas to pass through GI tract via belching or passing of flatus. Silicone antifoam spreads on surface of aqueous liquids, forming a film of low surface tension that causes foam bubbles to collapse.
Capsules: 95 mg, 125 mg
Capsules (liquid-filled): 125 mg, 166 mg
Drops: 40 mg/0.6 ml, 40 mg/1 ml, 95 mg/1.425 ml
Suspension: 40 mg/0.6 ml, 50 mg/5 ml
Tablets: 60 mg, 62.5 mg, 80 mg, 95 mg
Tablets (chewable): 40 mg, 80 mg, 125 mg, 150 mg, 166 mg
Indications and dosages
➣ Excess gas in GI tract after surgery or from air swallowing, dyspepsia, peptic ulcer, or diverticulitis
Adults and children older than age 12: 40 to 125 mg P.O. q.i.d. after meals and at bedtime, up to 500 mg/day
Children ages 2 to 12: 40 mg P.O. q.i.d., up to 240 mg/day
Children younger than age 2: 20 mg P.O. q.i.d.
• Hypersensitivity to drug
• Intestinal perforation or obstruction
Use cautiously in:
• abdominal pain of unknown cause (especially when accompanied by fever).
• Give as needed after meals and at bedtime.
• Monitor GI status to assess drug efficacy.
• Tell patient to take after meals and at bedtime as needed.
• Caution patient not to take dose higher than indicated on package unless prescriber approves.