Amanita phalloides

(redirected from Death Cap Mushroom)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.

Am·a·ni·ta phal·loi·'des

a species of fungus containing poisonous elements, including phalloidin and amanitin, which cause gastroenteritis, hepatic necrosis, and renal necrosis.
Synonym(s): deadly agaric
A mushroom which, along with related species—A bisporigera, A verna, A virosa—is the most common cause of fatal mushroom poisonings
Mechanism The major toxins are amanatins, a series of closely related heat-stable cyclic octapeptides, which inhibit RNA polymerase in liver cells
Management Symptomatic-rehydration, IV glucose, instillation of 100 g of activated charcoal per os, mannitol to prevent oliguria; 50% of late-treated patients die

Amanita phalloides

Toxicology A mushroom which, with related species–A bisporigera, A verna, A virosa are the most common cause of fatal mushroom poisonings Clinical After a 12-hr latency, N&V, abdominal colic, severe watery diarrhea; this is followed by a 24-hr latency period, then–if the amount ingested was significant—by fatal hepatitis and renal failure Management Symptomatic-rehydration, IV glucose, instillation of 100 g of activated charcoal per os, mannitol to prevent oliguria; 50% of late-treated Pts die. See Poisonous mushroom.

Am·a·ni·ta phal·loi·des

(am'ă-nī'tă fă-loy'dēz)
A species of mushroom containing poisonous principles (including phalloidin and amanitin) that cause gastroenteritis, hepatic necrosis, and renal necrosis.
References in periodicals archive ?
All parts of the Death Cap mushroom are poisonous and eating just one can be fatal.
Chris serves up a rogue risotto in the Diner and, because the dodgy dish contains death cap mushrooms, both Alf Stewart (above) and Leah collapse and pass out.
In 2008, one woman died and another was seriously ill after eating toxic death cap mushrooms on a trip to Ventnor Botanic Gardens on the Isle of Wight.
One woman died yesterday and another is ill after possibly eating poisonous death cap mushrooms, police said.
An Italian couple who mistakenly ate lethal Death Cap mushrooms received emergency liver transplants in a desperate effort to save their lives.
Death cap mushrooms (Amanita phalloides) contain one of nature's most potent poisons.