loratadine(redirected from Claritin Liqui-Gels 24-Hour Allergy)
Also found in: Dictionary.
Pharmacologic class: Histamine1-receptor antagonist (second-generation)
Therapeutic class: Antihistamine (nonsedating)
Pregnancy risk category B
Selective histamine1-receptor antagonist. Blocks peripheral effects of histamine release during allergic reactions, decreasing or preventing allergy symptoms.
Syrup: 1 mg/ml
Tablets: 10 mg
Tablets (rapidly disintegrating): 10 mg
Indications and dosages
➣ Seasonal allergies; chronic idiopathic urticaria
Adults and children ages 6 and older: 10 mg P.O. daily
Children ages 2 to 5: 5 mg P.O. daily
• Renal or hepatic impairment
• Hypersensitivity to drug
Use cautiously in:
• renal or hepatic impairment
• elderly patients
• pregnant patients
• children younger than age 2 (safety not established).
• Give once a day on empty stomach.
• Place rapidly disintegrating tablet on tongue; give with or without water.
• Use rapidly disintegrating tablets within 6 months of opening foil pouch and immediately after opening individual tablet blister.
CNS: headache, nervousness, insomnia
EENT: conjunctivitis, earache, epistaxis, pharyngitis
GI: abdominal pain; dry mouth; diarrhea, stomatitis (in children)
Skin: rash, photosensitivity, angioedema
Other: tooth disorder (in children), fever, flulike symptoms, viral infections
Drug-food. Any food: increased drug absorption
• Watch for adverse reactions, especially in children.
• Assess patient's response to drug.
• Watch for new symptoms or exacerbation of existing symptoms.
• Advise patient to take exactly as prescribed, once a day on empty stomach.
• Tell patient to report persistent or worsening symptoms.
• Instruct patient to report adverse reactions, such as headache or nervousness.
• Caution patient to avoid driving and other hazardous activities until he knows how drug affects concentration and alertness.
• As appropriate, review all other significant adverse reactions and interactions, especially those related to the foods mentioned above.