challenge(redirected from Challenge (television channel))
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. to administer a chemical substance to a patient for observation of whether the normal physiological response occurs.
2. in immunology, to administer antigen to evoke an immunologic response in a previously sensitized individual.
3. the administration of such a substance in order to assess for a response; called also provocation.
bronchial challenge (inhalational challenge) bronchial challenge test.
1. to administer a substance to monitor for the normal physiological response.
2. in immunology, to administer an antigen to monitor the response in a sensitized person.
Immunology The induction or evaluation of an immune response in an organism by administration of a specific antigen to which it has been sensitized.
v. chal·lenged, chal·lenging, chal·lenges
Immunology To induce or evaluate an immune response in (an organism) by administering a specific antigen to which it has been sensitized.
1 a method of testing the sensitivity of an individual to a hormone, allergen, or other substance by administering a sample. A small amount may be injected to determine whether the immune system will react by producing appropriate antibodies.
2 a term used to describe the rapid or concentrated infusion of a substance such as potassium or magnesium in the face of a life-threatening deficiency or a rapid infusion of IV fluid to differentiate between fluid deficit or renal failure as the cause of severely decreased urine output.
challengeImmunology The administration of an antigen or allergen to a person who has been previously exposed to the antigen, specifically to evoke an immune response
n a stimulating or de-manding circumstance. To develop effective problem-solving skills and strategies, it is necessary to perceive such circumstance as inconvenience or burden instead of overwhelming impediments.