caffeine dependence syndrome(redirected from Caffeine dependence syndrome-dependency criteria)
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
caffeine dependence syndromeSubstance abuse A clinical complex defined by fulfilling 3 of 4 generic criteria for substance dependence from the DSM-IV. See Coffee, Tea. Cf Caffeine withdrawal syndrome.
Caffeine dependence syndrome–dependency criteria
- Criterion 1, DSM-IV substance dependence, seen in 75% of cohort .
- Symptoms of withdrawal
- in absence of the use of caffeine–Criterion 2, seen in 94% .
- Persistent desire
- or unsuccessful attempt to reduce or control use of caffeine products–Criterion 4, seen in 81% .
- Continued use despite knowledge
- of a persistent or recurrent problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by substance abuse–Criterion 7, seen in 94% .
McGraw-Hill Concise Dictionary of Modern Medicine. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.