CYP19A1


Also found in: Dictionary.

CYP19A1

A gene on chromosome 15q21.1 that encodes a member of the cytochrome P450 superfamily of enzymes, which catalyse reactions involved in drug metabolism and synthesis of cholesterol, steroids and other lipids. CYP19A1 localises to the endoplasmic reticulum and catalyses the last steps of oestrogen biosynthesis—three successive hydroxylations of the A ring of androgens.

Molecular pathology
CYP19A1 mutations can up- or downregulate aromatase activity.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
The mRNA expression of the CYP19A1 gene, specific for granulosa cells, only was detected in cumulus and follicular cell pellet; CYP17A1 gene, specific for theca cells, was detected only in follicular cell pellet.
Specific primers for the genes of interest (insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor [IGF-1R], FSHR, luteotropic hormone receptor [LHR], and CYP19A1) were added, and a final volume of 10 ml was used for the PCR step.
Zhang, "Promoter methylation of CYP19A1 gene in chinese polycystic ovary syndrome patients," Gynecologic and Obstetric Investigation, vol.
Shahhoseini et al., "Epigenetic alterations of CYP19A1 gene in Cumulus cells and its relevance to infertility in endometriosis," Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, vol.
Nie et al., "Aromatase deficiency in a Chinese adult man caused by novel compound heterozygous CYP19A1 mutations: effects of estrogen replacement therapy on the bone, lipid, liver and glucose metabolism," Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol.
The protein for the present investigation is aromatase (gene: CYP19A1) which was retrieved from the Protein Data Bank (PDB) with the code 3EQM [17, 18] that displayed a resolution of 2.9 A and is in complex with the substrate 4-androstene-3-17-dione.
In men, 15% of estrogen is secreted directly from the testes, and the remaining 85% is derived from peripheral conversion of testosterone by the aromatase (CYP19A1) enzyme [12].
Steroidogenesis is modulated through the regulation of the genes involved in the hypothalamic-pituitary--steroidogenetic axis, such as: STAR, CYP11A1, CYP17A1, CYP19A1, LH and INHA(30).
Moreover, the conditional knockdown of [beta]-catenin in primary mouse GCs confirmed that Cyp19a1 was a target for the [beta]-catenin pathway (9).
The expression of cytochrome [P.sub.4]50 19A1 (CYP19A1) in pigs exposed to SIF-250 and those on EV reduced (p<0.05) significantly when compared with control group.