bepotastine(redirected from Bepreve)
Pregnancy Category: C
ClassificationTherapeutic: ocular agents
Treatment of itching associated with allergic conjunctivitis.
Acts as a histamine H1 receptor antagonist; also inhibits the release of histamine from mast cells; does not bind to or inactivate histamine.
Decreased ocular itching associated with allergic conjunctivitis.
Absorption: Some systemic absorption follows ophthalmic administration.
Metabolism and Excretion: Minimally metabolized by the liver; 75–90% excreted unchanged in urine.
Time/action profile (antihistaminic activity)
|ophth||within 15 min||1–2 hr†||12 hr|
Contraindicated in: Hypersensitivity.
Use Cautiously in: Contact lens use ; Obstetric: Use during pregnancy potential maternal benefit justifies the potential risk to fetus; Lactation: Use cautiously during breastfeeding; Pediatric: Safe and effective use in children <2 yr has not been established.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Central nervous system
Ear, Eye, Nose, Throat
- taste in mouth following instillation (most frequent)
Drug-Drug interactionNone noted.
Ophthalmic (Adults) One drop in affected eye(s) twice daily.
Ophthalmic solution: 1.5%
- Assess signs and symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis (redness, itching, watering) periodically during therapy.
Potential Nursing DiagnosesDeficient knowledge, related to medication regimen (Patient/Family Teaching)
- Ophthalmic: Instill 1 drop into affected eyes twice daily. See for administration guidelines.
- Instruct patient to instill bepotastine drops as directed. Do not touch dropper to eye or to any surface.
- Advise patient to remove contact lens prior to instillation. Do not use bepotastine for treatment of irritation related to contact lens. Do not wear contact lens if eyes are red. Contact lens may be reinserted 10 min following instillation.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Decrease in ocular itching due to allergic conjunctivitis.
Drug Guide, © 2015 Farlex and Partners