vitamin E(redirected from Aquasol E)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
vitamin EA family of eight fat-soluble antioxidant tocopherols and tocotrienols, which are found in soybeans, nuts, wheat germ and sunflower and other oils. While vitamin E deficiency is associated with a number of neurologic and immune related disorders, vitamin E supplementation does not appear to have a positive effect on health: it does not improve control of serum glucose in diabetics; it does not alter the course of age related macular degeneration; and it may increase the risk of osteoporosis and slightly increase mortality.
Biological functions of vitamin E
• Antioxidant (peroxyl radical scavenger);
• Acts on protein kinase C, preventing the overgrowth of smooth muscle in the embryo;
• Downregulates scavenger receptor CD36; modulates expression of connective tissue growth factor;
• Prevents oxidation of polyunsaturated fats;
• Roles in neurologic and immune activity and platelet inhibition are ongoing.
tocopherola fat-soluble molecule found in many plants, such as wheatgerm oil, green leafy vegetables, egg yolk, milk and meat. The vitamin is known as an antioxidant, permitting the oxidation of, for example, unsaturated fatty acids and Vitamin A in the body. A deficiency can result in sterility.
Patient discussion about vitamin E
Q. my Dr. said to take no more than 400 iu of Vit. E. But I noticed my multiple also has 200 IU. Is this bad? I have been taking 400 units to combat Peyronies. I noticed today that my Centrum Silver also contains Vitamin E. I know taking over 400 units can be toxic, so now which way do I go from here. Thanks for any info.