advanced life support(redirected from Advanced ventilatory support)
ad·vanced life sup·port (ALS),(ad-vanst' līf sŭp-ōrt'),
Definitive emergency medical care that may include defibrillation, airway management, and use of drugs and medications. Compare: basic life support.
advanced life support (ALS)
a higher level of emergency medical care, usually provided by EMT-intermediates or paramedics. Typically ALS includes invasive techniques such as IV therapy, intubation, and/or drug administration.
Advanced Life SupportA generic term for resuscitation manoeuvres that extend beyond basic cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
advanced life supportEmergency medicine A generic term for resuscitation efforts that extend beyond basic CPR
Advanced life support methods
- Advanced ventilatory support,
- eg tracheal intubation, pharyngotracheal lumen airway, esophageal obturator airway, transtracheal catheter ventilation
- IV access
- Correction of acidosis
- Diagnostic tests,
- eg EKG, arterial blood gases
- Treat arrhythmias,
- either with drugs or electroconversion
- Advanced perfusion support.
- Cf Basic life support.