frog(redirected from A frog)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. An amphibian in the order Anura, which includes the toads; the commonest frog genera are Rana (grass frogs) and Hyla (tree frogs).
2. In veterinary medicine, the spongy triangular cushion on the sole of the horse hoof that helps to absorb the shock of impact.
a. Any of numerous tailless aquatic, semiaquatic, or terrestrial amphibians of the order Anura, characteristically having a short vertebral column, a large head, long hind legs used for leaping, and a tadpole stage as larvae.
b. Any of various usually aquatic members of this order having smoother skin and longer hind legs than the toads.
2. A wedge-shaped, horny prominence in the sole of a horse's hoof.
3. Informal Hoarseness or phlegm in the throat.
1. amphibious, poikilothermic animal. See also rana.
2. v-shaped pad of soft horn between the bars on the sole of the horse's hoof.
one of the positions used when x-raying dogs for hip dysplasia. The dog is in dorsal recumbency and the hindlegs are held in a fully flexed, abducted position.
member of the animal order Anura of the class Amphibia. Called also Rana pipiens.
leather pad nailed onto horse hoof above the shoe to protect the frog.
the hindlimbs trail behind in a recumbent animal that scrambles forwards with the front limbs. Characteristic of bilateral hip luxation and compression of the lumbar spinal cord.