Soberest | definition of soberest by Medical dictionary
sober (redirected from soberest)
Also found in: Dictionary
1. Not intoxicated or affected by the use of alcohol or drugs.
2. Abstaining from or habitually abstemious in the use of alcoholic drink or other intoxicants: a former addict who has been sober for 10 years.
sober (sō′bĕr) [L. sobrius, not drunk, sober]
1. Not intoxicated by alcohol or psychoactive drugs, including recreational drugs.
2. Habitually moderate or temperate, esp. regarding alcohol.
3. Quiet and serious in behavior.
References in periodicals archive
He admitted in his 1887 article that a crucial problem was how to set up administration so "that it shall always be to the interest of the public officer to serve, not his superior alone but the community also, with the best efforts of his talents and the soberest
service of his conscience.
It is the soberest
and most compendious treatment of this question yet written.
Travisano refers frequently to Ransom and emphasizes that in "Levels and Opposites" Jarrell "was outlining the features of a postmodernist position that would, in the long run, undercut many of New Criticism's soberest