camera(redirected from scintillation camera)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
camera[kam´er-ah] (pl. ca´merae, cameras) (L.)
a cavity or chamber.
Anger camera the original form of gamma camera. Because the Anger camera is by far the most frequently used type of gamma (or scintillation) camera today, the terms are often used interchangeably.
gamma camera (scintillation camera) an electronic instrument that produces photographs or cathode-ray tube images of the gamma ray emissions from organs containing tracer compounds. The original and most commonly used version is the Anger c.
cam·er·as(kam'er-ă, -ē, ăz), [TA]
1. Synonym(s): anterior chamber of eyeball
2. A closed box; especially one containing a lens, shutter, and light-sensitive film or plates for photography.
[L. a vault]
camera/cam·era/ (kam´ah-rah) pl. ca´merae, cameras [L.]
1. a box, compartment, or chamber.
2. any enclosed space or ventricle.
3. a device for converting light or other energy from an object into a visible image.
Anger camera the original, and by far the most commonly used, form of scintillation (or gamma) camera, so that the terms are often used interchangeably.
camera ante´rior bul´bi anterior chamber (of the eye).
gamma camera scintillation c.
camera poste´rior bul´bi posterior chamber (of the eye).
camera vi´trea bul´bi vitreous chamber.
camera o´culi either the anterior or the posterior chamber of the eye.
scintillation camera an electronic instrument that produces photographs or cathode-ray tube images of the gamma ray emissions from organs containing tracer compounds; the term is often equated with Anger camera, the original and most used version.
Etymology: L, vaulted chamber
(in anatomy) any compartment, cavity, or chamber, as those of the eye, tooth, or heart.
cam·era, pl. camerae (kam'ĕr-ă, -ē, -ăz) [TA]
1. A closed box; one containing a lens, shutter, and light-sensitive film or digital medium for photography.
2. anatomy Any chamber or cavity, such as one of the chambers of the heart or eye.
[L. a vault]
pl. camerae; a cavity or chamber.
camera anterior bulbi
anterior chamber of the eye.
camera posterior bulbi
posterior chamber of the eye; small annular space between the posterior surface of the iris and the anterior surface of the lens, and bounded peripherally by the ciliary processes.
camera vitrea bulbi
vitreous chamber of the eye, between the crystalline lens and the retina, that contains the vitreous body.