Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to satellite cell: Microglial cell, ependymal cell
1. Any of the cells that envelop the bodies of nerve cells within the peripheral nervous system.
2. A mononuclear undifferentiated cell that is found in skeletal muscle fibers and promotes their growth, repair, and regeneration.
satellite cellsmall cell, a nucleus surrounded by minimal cytoplasm, lying outside but as close as possible to the membrane of a skeletal muscle fibre, and within the sarcolemma. When fibre enlargement (hypertrophy) or repair is required, satellite cells divide, one daughter becoming active in developing new muscle cytoplasm and the other being retained as a further-generation satellite cell.
1. in genetics, a knob of chromatin connected by a stalk to the short arm of certain chromosomes.
2. a minor, or attendant, lesion situated near a large one.
3. a vein that closely accompanies an artery.
4. exhibiting satellitism.
cells present in nervous and muscle tissue, whose numbers diminish with age, which are involved in repair when damage occurs. They are capable of migration, reorientation, can proliferate, form myoblasts and myotubes, and form long cytoplasmic tails that act as tethers when they migrate.