Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. a barrier to obstruct the flow of water or other fluid.
2. rubber dam.
dental dam rubber dam.
rubber dam a sheet of thin latex rubber used by dentists to isolate a tooth or teeth from the fluids of the mouth during dental treatment, held in place by a clamp and frame. Occasionally these are used in surgical procedures to isolate tissues or structures. Called also dam.
1. in surgery, thin strips of rubber used as a surgical drain or barrier;
2. a thin sheet of rubber with holes that is placed over teeth to isolate them from the oral cavity.
Etymology: ME, rubben, to scrape; AS, demman, to dam up
a thin sheet of synthetic rubber or natural latex rubber used to isolate one or more teeth during a dental procedure. See also dam.
Sexology Dental dams may be used for safe sexual practices, placed over the vulva or anus during cunnilingus and analingus to protect against the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases
rubber damDental dam A sheet of latex rubber punctuated with holes that is stretched around the teeth during dental procedures to isolate the operative field from the oropharynx, and respiratory tract, and prevent pulmonary aspiration of fragments of teeth and amalgam
rub·ber dam(rŭbĕr dam)
1. In surgery, thin strips of rubber used as a surgical drain or barrier;
2. Thin sheet of rubber with holes that is placed over teeth to isolate them from the oral cavity.
rubber damA perforated sheet of rubber that is pushed over one or more teeth during certain dental procedures to acts as a barrier to prevent inhalation of debris or contamination of the operation site by saliva.
rub·ber dam(rŭbĕr dam)
1. Thin sheet of rubber with holes that is placed over teeth to isolate them from oral cavity.
2. In surgery, thin strips of rubber used as a surgical drain or barrier.
n See dam, rubber.
rubber dam clamp,
n See clamp, rubber dam.
rubber dam clamp forceps,
n an instrument used to place a clamp on a tooth, adjust a clamp, or remove it from a tooth. It engages the holes or notches of the flanges of the clamp.
rubber dam holder,
n in endodontics, a rubber dam frame holder; in operative dentistry, a rubber dam frame.