reportable deathA death which must by British law be reported to the coroner or, in Scotland, to the Procurator Fiscal.
• The deceased has not been treated by a doctor during their illness;
• The doctor attending the deceased did not see him or her within 14 days before he or she died, or after death;
• The death occurred during an operation or before recovery from the effect of an anaesthetic;
• The death was sudden and unexplained or by suspicious circumstances;
• The death may be due to an industrial injury or disease, or to accident, violence, neglect or abortion, or to any kind of poisoning;
• The death occurred in police custody or in prison.
If after postmortem examination the death was deemed unnatural, then an inquest will be held.