Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The hollow stemlike main shaft of a feather. Also called calamus.
2. Any of the larger wing or tail feathers of a bird.
3. One of the sharp hollow spines of a porcupine or hedgehog.
- the hollow stalk of the feather of birds.
- a whole wing or tail feather.
- the spine of a porcupine.
the shaft of a bird's feather (1).
quill suture technique
a secure, external method of closing the vulva against prolapse; now obsolete. A vertically placed piece of rubber tubing on either side of the vulva is encircled in a row of four or five horizontal mattress sutures.