Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to prostrate: prostate gland, prostate cancer, Prostate symptoms, Prostate infection
tr.v. pros·trated, pros·trating, pros·trates
1. To put or throw flat with the face down, as in submission or adoration: "He did not simply sit and meditate, he also knelt down, sometimes even prostrated himself" (Iris Murdoch).
2. To cause to lie flat: The wind prostrated the young trees.
3. To reduce to extreme weakness or incapacitation; overcome: an illness that prostrated an entire family; a nation that was prostrated by years of civil war.
1. Lying face down, as in submission or adoration.
2. Lying flat or at full length.
3. Reduced to extreme weakness or incapacitation; overcome.
4. Botany Growing flat along the ground.
prostrate(prŏs′trāt) [Gr. pro, before, + L. sternere, stretch out]
1. Lying with the body extended, usually face down.
2. To deprive of strength or to exhaust.