pedicure

(redirected from pedicurists)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.

ped·i·cure

(ped'i-kyūr),
Care and treatment of the feet.
[L. pes (ped-), foot, + cura, treatment]

pedicure

(pĕd′ĭ-kyo͝or′)
n.
1.
a. Cosmetic care of the feet and toenails.
b. A cosmetic treatment of the feet and toenails.
2. A podiatrist.

ped′i·cure′ v.
ped′i·cur′ist n.

pedicure

[ped′ikyo̅o̅r]
care of the feet, especially trimming of the toenails.

pedicure

(pĕd′ĭ-kūr) [L. pes, foot, + cura, care]
1. Care of the feet.
2. Cosmetic care of the feet and toenails.
3. Podiatrist.

Patient discussion about pedicure

Q. after a pedicure, the soles of my feet are dark w/freckles, skin is itchy/thick, my derm says its eczema,help! the pedicure was in fall, 2002. I mad a mistake and wore nylon boots during a storm, the dye never fully disappeared. I would scrub the soles of my feet until I couldn't walk. However, within the last 4 months both heels are itchy, thick, dark-er and now they both have dark legions/ freckles have formed.

A. Are you sure you are going to a clean sterile saloon? It is very important to make sure they use sterile tools for a pedicure because they can transfer fungal infections very easily. Either way you should see a dermatologist to get the right kind of cream treatment for your feet.

More discussions about pedicure
References in periodicals archive ?
In relation to procedures employed by these manicurists and/or pedicurists when in contact with blood from customers, 54% reported not taking any action, and the other 46% reported making several mistakes, even cleaning their hands with towels used during the clients' sessions.
In Figure 1, we verify the awareness of diseases that the manicurists and/or pedicurists say they can transmit or acquire during their professional activity.
In this study, 80% of the manicurists and/or pedicurists did not use surgical gloves during the procedures, despite the fact that the majority (84%) of these professionals said that the gloves were an instrument for their protection, and for the protection of their customers.
Ninety-three percent of the manicurists and/or pedicurists reused disposable materials (sandpapers, sticks and plastic bags used as protection for sinks and washbasins).
As to the degree of awareness of the manicurists and/ or pedicurists, related to the proper use, time and temperature, for sterilization, it was verified that only 7.
The acceptance level, from the professional manicurists and/or pedicurists, in this research was of 96% from the initial sample, greater than in a similar research conducted in North York, Canada, in 2001, when only 60% of the professionals agreed to participate.
All of this is in agreement with the Carlomagno study, (11) which concluded that the majority of pedicurists and/or manicurists did not know the biological, chemical and ergonomic risks present in their profession or the ways to prevent such risks.
The guide "Beleza com Seguranca" (Beaty with security), (10) provided by the government, recommends, for manicurists and pedicurists, the use of surgical gloves, hands washing, cleaning and sterilizing the instruments; however, the book does not explains in detail how to perform these procedures.
Among the manicurists and pedicurists procedures, there is not the habit of disinfecting the furniture.
It is beyond any doubt that there is a big flaw in the hepatitis control official programs when it relates to the prevention of this infection, putting at risk the health manicurists and pedicurists, their clients and the community.
The extent of the problem that viral hepatitis B and C represents for public health through manicurists and/ or pedicurists suggests the need of a specific program of great impact in the preventive area.