obstruent(redirected from obstruents)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal.
1. causing obstruction or blocking.
2. an agent that so acts.
1. Rarely used term for obstructing or clogging.
2. Rarely used term for an agent that obstructs or prevents a normal discharge, especially a discharge from the bowels.
[L. obstruo, to build against, obstruct]
Obstructing or closing natural openings or passages of the body.
1. An obstruent medicine or agent.
2. Linguistics A sound, such as a stop, fricative, or affricate, that is produced with complete blockage or at least partial constriction of the airflow through the nose or mouth.
1. causing obstruction.
2. any agent or agency that causes obstruction.