nitrobenzene poisoning

nitrobenzene poisoning

[nī′trōben′zēn]
a toxic condition caused by the absorption into the body of nitrobenzene, a pale yellow, oily liquid used in the manufacture of aniline, shoe dyes, soap, perfume, and artificial flavors. Nitrobenzene, especially its vapors, is extremely toxic. Exposure in industry is usually by inhalation of the fumes or by absorption through the skin. Symptoms of acute poisoning include headache, drowsiness, nausea, ataxia, cyanosis, and, in extreme cases, respiratory failure. Chronic exposure to nitrobenzene may cause headache, fatigue, loss of appetite, and anemia.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
The first report of nitrobenzene poisoning came in 1886.
Acquired methemoglobinemia following nitrobenzene poisoning.