Also found in: Dictionary, Idioms, Wikipedia.
nanny state(1) A UK term referring to the role that government oversight and regulation play in encouraging the population to lead healthier lives.
(2) A political term of art for protectionism, economic interventionism or regulatory policies that may be viewed as uninvited and damaging state interventions of individual behaviours and habits, such as poor diet and smoking in public.
Statistics, UK nanny-state health concerns
• Overweight—46% of men, 32% of women;
• Obese—17% of men, 21% of women;
• Smoking—26% of men, 24% of women;
• Alcohol-related deaths—19/105 men, 9/105 women.