medical misnomerA generic term for any of the medical conditions whose names do not reflect their pathological reality.
▪ Aneurysmal bone cyst—Not an aneurysm, nor a cyst.
▪ Desquamative interstiatial pneumonia—Neither desquamative nor interstitial.
▪ Eosinophilic granuloma Langerhans’ cell histiocytosis—May lack eosinophils; may not form granulomas.
▪ Ganglion cyst—Not a (nerve) ganglion; not a cyst.
▪ Granuloma faciale—Not a granuloma; not always on the face.
▪ Pyogenic granuloma—Neither pyogenic nor a granuloma.