lower back pain

lower back pain (LBP),

n acute and/or chronic discomfort in the lumbar region of the spine caused by a number of factors.

Patient discussion about lower back pain

Q. I have a low back pain that radiates to my leg when i pick up stuff. Is it a disc herniation? I am a 43 years old bank teller. During the past 5 months I've suffered from a low back pain. The pain is not very strong, but it gets much worse while doing physical activity. When i walk or lift heavy things the pain is even stronger, and it radiates to my left leg. Can it be signs for disc herniation?

A. It's possible that you have a nerve impingement from a disc herniation, but not necessarily so. What you need to know is that even if you have a herniated disc, the question is what would the recommended treatment be?
90% or more of herniated discs resolve without surgical treatment within 6 months. MRI imaging is generally only indicated if one is considering surgery; in other words, your pain and neurological status is such that surgery is clinically indicated. Then, an MRI may be helpful for the surgeon. If surgery is not indicated based on clinical/symptoms, then it probably is unwise to get an MRI. They often show abnormalities that are simply 'red herrings' and often prompt people to proceed with surgery that really is not needed. Beware!

Q. What is the best way to strengthen the low back muscles? After having a low back strain I've been told I need to work better on the lower back muscles as too much stress is on them and they're not strong enough to handle it...any suggestions?

A. i have lower back strains but that is because i run. my back muscles are stronger then abdomen muscles and that causes an imbalance. the best way is starting swimming. the best sport for the body... and a thing to do for now (not instead of swimming just for the time being until you'll develop muscles)- lay on your stomach on a bed with your head sticking out for about 10-15 minutes every now and then. this will lengthen your back muscle and prevent strains for now.

Q. I have developed a low back pain from some heavy lifting over the weekend. What tests in the doctor's office can I expect to confirm this. And what should the treatment be. I suspect a sacriliac strain.

A. More than likely you have developed some muscle strain. If the pain goes away on it's own after rest for a few days, I suspect that's all it is. If the pain persists and starts to radiate down your buttocks and leg(s), then you should see an orthopedic surgeon for more extensive tests. Good luck to you.

More discussions about lower back pain
References in periodicals archive ?
More than a third of those living in the region - 38 per cent - said they suffer lower back pain which impacts on their daily life.
Critique: Decidedly well written so as to be fully accessible to the non-specialist general reader with an interest in the subject of successfully managing and even eliminating chronic lower back pain, "Uprise: Back Pain Liberation By Tuning Your Body Guitar" is as informed and informative as it is practical and immediately applicable.
Lower back pain More working days are lost to lower back pain than to any other medical condition - it affects about three in every five adults.
But the best way to restart your romance is to find out what causes your lower back pain.
It provides physicians solid evidence to recommend sex positions to patients suffering from lower back pain which run into millions.
Lower back pain (LBP) is the most common musculoskeletal problem seen by general practitioners and remains the most common cause of disability in US patients <45 years of age.
30, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Decorating the house and Christmas tree, carrying lots of parcels, wrapping presents, washing dishes, holding children, lifting large turkeys and hams and sitting for long periods of time, all common during the holiday season, can lead to lower back pain that can ruin family celebrations.
A separate study calculated odds ratios for smokers developing lower back pain as 1.
While 90 percent of lower back pain sufferers recover without surgical intervention, Disc Dynamics' DASCOR device is intended for the remaining 10 percent who seek surgical options for relief.
Some moderate lower back pain and sciatica (pain along the course of the sciatic nerve) can be relieved by running,'' he said.
In March 2004, DOV and the FDA reached agreement on a plan for the balance of the Phase III bicifadine program necessary to submit an NDA for both acute pain and chronic lower back pain.

Full browser ?