lead deanA regional postgraduate dean who is also nationally responsible for a given number of specialties allocated by the Conference of Postgraduate Medical Deans of the UK (COPMeD). The lead dean’s remit is to “…improve the quality of patient care by ensuring a supply of doctors who are educated, trained and motivated to play their part in the health service.”
Lead dean roles
• Manage the distribution of National Training Numbers (NTNs);
• Represent postgraduate deans at appropriate committees or organisations;
• Contribute to national policy and its implementation;
• Act as a conduit for information;
• Act as a focal point for advice;
• Help to develop and advance the specialty.