hydrogen sulfide poisoning

hydrogen sulfide poisoning

poisoning by excessive exposure to hydrogen sulfide gas, seen primarily in those who work with petroleum or petrochemicals. The gas is a potent inhibitor of cytochrome-c oxidase, and poisoning is characterized by metabolic acidosis and anoxia. Severe cases may result in coma with death from respiratory paralysis. Treatments include immediate inhalation of amyl nitrate, injections of sodium nitrate, inhalation of oxygen, administration of bronchodilators, and, in severe cases, hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
References in periodicals archive ?
Prolonged exposure to these toxic fumes can cause long-term health problems, primarily from hydrogen sulfide poisoning, associated with chronic headaches, short attention spans, memory problems, and decreased motor function.
This chapter covers topics such as asphyxiates, pulmonary irritants, smoke inhalation, carbon monoxide, cyanide and hydrogen sulfide poisoning, and tear gas.
A fatal case of hydrogen sulfide poisoning in a geothermal power plant.
It has also been suggested that hydrogen sulfide poisoning played a role.
While the company's safety managers were aware of the hazards and existence of the gas near the hydrolyzers and took steps to protect workers, "Tyson Foods did not take sufficient steps to implement controls or protective equipment to reduce exposure within prescribed limits or provide effective training to employees on hydrogen sulfide gas at the Texarkana facility despite an identical exposure, resulting in hydrogen sulfide poisoning of an RVAF Texarkana employee in March 2002," the D.
Concentrated hydrogen sulfide was detected in the tank and the police believe hydrogen sulfide poisoning caused the three to collapse and drown.
It has become increasingly apparent over the last several years that workers who have died in manholes, sewers, and other chambers, have not died from asphyxiation, but from hydrogen sulfide poisoning.
The men were taken to a hospital, where Masau Iwaki, 61, died, the police said, pointing to hydrogen sulfide poisoning as the possible cause.