Also found in: Wikipedia.
Orgalutran (CA) (UK)
Pharmacologic class: Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) antagonist
Therapeutic class: Sex hormone
Pregnancy risk category X
Competitively blocks GnRH receptors on pituitary gonadotroph, suppressing secretion of gonadotropin and luteinizing hormone (LH) and thereby preventing ovulation
Prefilled syringe: 250 mcg/0.5 ml
⊘Indications and dosages
➣ To inhibit premature LH surges during controlled ovarian hyperstimulation
Adult women: 250 mcg subcutaneously daily during early to midfollicular phase
• Hypersensitivity to drug, its components, GnRH, or GnRH analogs
• Known or suspected pregnancy
Use cautiously in:
• GnRH sensitivity
• latex sensitivity (packaging contains natural rubber latex)
• breastfeeding patients.
☞ Know that pregnancy must be excluded before therapy begins.
• Inject into abdomen (around navel) or upper thigh.
• Be aware that drug is given with follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH). After starting FSH on day 2 or 3 of menstrual cycle, patient receives ganirelix on morning of day 7 or 8 and continues this drug until adequate follicular response occurs. Then human chorionic gonadotropin is given and FSH and ganirelix are discontinued.
GI: nausea, abdominal pain of GI tract origin
GU: abdominal pain of gynecologic origin, vaginal bleeding, ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome
Other: injection site reaction, fetal death
Drug-diagnostic tests.Hematocrit, total bilirubin: decreased values
Neutrophils: altered count (8.3/mm3 or greater)
☞ Monitor patient for adverse effects, especially ovarian hyperstimulation.
• Monitor total bilirubin level and CBC with white cell differential.
• Inform patient about possible adverse reactions.
• Teach patient about duration of treatment and required monitoring procedures.
☞ Urge patient to tell prescriber if she is pregnant before starting drug.
• As appropriate, review all other significant and life-threatening adverse reactions and interactions, especially those related to the tests mentioned above.
AnatagonAn injectable synthetic decapeptide gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) antagonist used to inhibit premature LH surges in women undergoing controlled ovarian hyperstimulation in assisted reproduction.
Gynaecologic pain, foetal death, headache, ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, vaginal bleeding.