gametogenesis


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to gametogenesis: oogenesis

gametogenesis

 [gam″ĕ-to-jen´ĕ-sis]
the development of the male and female sex cells (gametes). adj., adj gametogen´ic.

gam·e·to·gen·e·sis

(gam'ĕ-tō-jen'ĕ-sis),
The process of formation and development of gametes.
[gameto- + G. genesis, production]

gametogenesis

/gam·e·to·gen·e·sis/ (gah-me″to-jen´ĕ-sis) the development of the male and female sex cells, or gametes.gametogen´ic

gametogenesis

(gə-mē′tə-jĕn′ĭ-sĭs)
n.
The formation or production of gametes.

ga·me′to·gen′ic, gam′e·tog′e·nous (găm′ĭ-tŏj′ə-nəs) adj.

gametogenesis

[gam′itōjen′əsis]
Etymology: Gk, gamete + genein, to produce
the origin and maturation of gametes, which occurs through meiosis. See also oogenesis, spermatogenesis. gametogenic, gametogenous, adj.

gam·e·to·gen·e·sis

(gam'ĕ-tō-jen'ĕ-sis)
The process of formation and development of gametes.
[gameto- + G. genesis, production]

gametogenesis

The production of gametes. See GAMETE.
Gamotogenesisclick for a larger image
Fig. 168 Gamotogenesis . In plants.
Gametogenesisclick for a larger image
Fig. 167 Gametogenesis . In animals.

gametogenesis

the process in which haploid GAMETES are produced from diploid cells by meiotic division (MEIOSIS). See Fig. 167 for animal cells and Fig. 168 for plant cells.

gametogenesis

the development of the male and female sex cells (gametes).
References in periodicals archive ?
Late active and ripe stages were only observed in April indicating that gametogenesis progressed rapidly with 80% of specimens in the late active stage and the remaining 20% of specimens in ripe stage (Figs.
Therefore, considering that gametogenesis and embryogenesis represent different processes of the reproductive cycle, oviductal eggs must not be mixed with gonads to describe the gonadal cycle.
Because of its effects on gametogenesis and steroidogenesis, Cd is detrimental to both male and female gonads in adults.
For example, tidal cycle influences gonad size, number of released gametes, and synchrony of gametogenesis (Borrero 1987, Schmitzer et al.
The way chromosomal abnormalities affect gametogenesis or embryogenesis is not explicitly evident and reaching a common conclusion demands further investigation in this field.
Remethylation and imprinting then occur in a sex-specific manner during gametogenesis (Reik et al.
It covers gametogenesis and fertilization, lineage tracking, oogenesis and other early development, development in amphibians and amniotes, vertebrate organogenesis including metamorphosis, plant development, morphogenesis, regulations of gene expression, and evolution.
Gametogenesis was similar to that described for other late gonochoristic sparids e.
An ultrastructural study of gametogenesis of the marine bivalve Pinna nobilis (Linnaeus, 1758).
Gonadal steroid hormones: major regulators of gonadal sex differentiation and gametogenesis in fish.