transition(redirected from digital TV transition)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Passage from one condition or one part to another.
2. In polynucleic acid, replacement of a purine base by another purine base or a pyrimidine base by a different pyrimidine.
[L. transitio, fr. transeo, pp. -itus, to go across]
1. a passage or change from one state or condition to another.
2. in molecular genetics, a point mutation in which a purine base replaces a pyrimidine base or vice versa.transi´tional
1. Change from one form, state, style, or place to another.
2. Genetics A point mutation in which a pyrimidine is replaced by another pyrimidine, or a purine is replaced by another purine.
3. A period during childbirth that precedes the expulsive phase of labor, characterized by strong uterine contractions and nearly complete cervical dilation.
intr.v. transi·tioned, transi·tioning, transi·tions
To make a transition.
tran·si′tion·al, tran·si′tion·ar′y (-zĭsh′ə-nĕr′ē) adj.
Etymology: L, transire, to go through
the last phase of the first stage of labor, sometimes indicated by cervical dilation of 8 to 10 cm.