convoluted tubule


Also found in: Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

con·vo·lu·ted tu·bule

(kon'vŏ-lūt'ĕd tū'byūl)
Either of the two intricately coiled segments of the renal tubule; the proximal convoluted tubule leads from the capsule of the kidney to the straight portion of the proximal tubule; the distal convoluted tubule is formed from the ascending limb of the loop of Henle and ends in a collecting tubule.
Synonym(s): tubuli contorti (1) .
References in periodicals archive ?
Further, morphine significantly increased the mean diameter of glomerulus and distal and proximal convoluted tubule (p<0.
Hyperphosphatemia stimulates the posterior liberation of fibroblastic growth factor 23 (FGF23) by osteocytes, which inhibits proteins NaPilIa and NaPilIc in the proximal convoluted tubule generating phosphaturia.
In addition, the increased extracellular and cytoplasmic HMGB1 in CIH rats was gradually attenuated upon pretreatment of sRAGE, as depicted by lessened but mild expression in proximal and distal convoluted tubule (Figure 3).
GS is a rare inherited condition of the distal convoluted tubule that leads to hypokalemia and metabolic alkalosis.
It inhibits urate reabsorption in the proximal convoluted tubule.
The diameter of the proximal convoluted tubule and its opening, size of epithelian cell and its nuclear have no significant changes comparing to the control (see Table 1).
The proximal convoluted tubule normally reabsorbs 90% of filtered glucose coupled with sodium and the remaining 10% is reabsorbed by more distal nephron segments (Lang, 1986).
Over time this can lead to hypertrophy of distal convoluted tubule (DCT) cells and increased distal sodium reabsorption, thus negating the proximal effects of the loop diuretic.
In the CB control rats, the urinary space and the mesangial cells within the glomerulus was swollen due to oedema; while enlarged proximal convoluted tubule and distal convoluted tubules was observed.
Pathologicaly the primary defect is impairment in one of the transporters involved in sodium chloride reabsorption in the thick ascending limb of loop of Henle or distal convoluted tubule viz, Na-K-2Cl cotransporter (NKCC2) or apical K channel (ROMK) or basolateral chloride channel (ClCNKB).
In most GS patients, the disease is caused by mutations in the thiazide-sensitive sodium-chloride cotransporter (NCCT) located in the apical membrane of the cells in the distal convoluted tubule (3, 10).