Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to complementarity: Complementarity principle, Complementarity determining region
1. The degree of base-pairing (A opposite U or T, G opposite C) between two sequences of DNA and/or RNA molecules.
2. The degree of affinity, or fit, between antigen- and antibody-combining sites.
3. The degree of affinity, or fit, between an enzyme and a substrate.
1. The degree of base-pairing between two sequences of DNA and/or RNA molecules.
2. The degree of affinity, or fit, of antigen and antibody combining sites.
n a concept in quantum physics, proposed by Neils Bohr, in which total information about a subject or system cannot be obtained because the information is located in at least two complementary qualities. Measuring one quality precludes measurement of the other.
the relationship between bases in the DNA double helix whereby every base on one strand is matched to a complementary hydrogen bonding base on the other strand.
complementarity-determining region (CDR)
restricted regions within the variable regions of antibodies that bind to antigenic determinants.