complementary(redirected from complementarily)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to complementarily: complementariness
1. supplying a defect, or helping to do so; making complete; accessory.
2. in biochemistry, pertaining to the specific pairing between purine and pyrimidine bases in two nucleotide strands.
1. Of or relating to complementary medicine.
2. Genetics Of or relating to a group of genes that act in concert to produce a specific phenotype.
3. Biochemistry Of or relating to the specific pairing of the purines and pyrimidines between strands of a DNA or an RNA molecule.
com′ple·men′ta·ri·ly (-tə-rə-lē, -trə-lē, -mĕn-târ′ə-lē) adv.
complementaryOf a NUCLEOTIDE or nucleotide sequence the base, or bases, of which can link to one or more other bases to form a BASE PAIR or a sequence of base pairs.
Something that serves to fill out or complete something else.
Mentioned in: Kinesiology, Applied