beef tapeworm infection

beef tapeworm infection

Etymology: OF, buef, cow; AS, taeppe, wyrm
an infection caused by the tapeworm Taenia saginata, transmitted to humans when they eat contaminated beef. The adult worm can live for years in the intestine of humans without causing any symptoms. The infection is rarely found in North America and Western Europe, where beef is carefully inspected before being made available and is often thoroughly cooked before eating, but it is common in other parts of the world. See tapeworm infection.