barb(redirected from barbing)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A sharp point projecting in reverse direction to the main point of a weapon or tool, as on an arrow or fishhook.
2. Zoology A small, sharp point projecting in reverse direction from the tip, as on a porcupine quill or a bee sting.
3. Zoology One of the parallel filaments projecting from the main shaft of a feather.
4. Botany A short, sharp, reflexed bristle or hairlike projection.
5. See barbel1.
a combining form used to indicate derivatives of barbituric acid.
1. originally a distinct line of black Australian kelpies, but now the term is generally applied to any black kelpie.
2. a riding horse of great antiquity native to North Africa; bay, brown, chestnut, black, gray and 14 to 15 hands high. The foundation of the andalusian breed.