non-departmental public body(redirected from arm’s-length body)
Also found in: Legal.
non-departmental public bodyA national or regional public body in the UK which has government functions, but is not a government department per se nor part of one. While NDPBs operate at arm's length from Ministers, and carry out activities without ministerial involvement, Ministers are nonetheless ultimately responsible for NDPBs’ effectiveness and efficiency.
Non-departmental public bodies
• Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens
• Advisory Committee on the Safety of Blood, Tissues and Organs
• Committee on Carcinogenicity of Chemicals in Food, Consumer
Products and the Environment
• Expert Advisory Group on HIV/Aids
• Health Protection Agency
• Human Genetics Commission
• Human Tissue Authority
• Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisations