anticholinergic poisoning

anticholinergic poisoning

poisoning caused by overdosing with an anticholinergic or by ingesting of plants such as jimsonweed that contain belladonna alkaloids. It is characterized by dry mouth; hot, dry, flushed skin; fixed, dilated pupils; sinus tachycardia; urinary retention; disorientation; agitation; impairment of short-term memory; slurred speech; hallucinations; respiratory depression; seizures; and coma. In rare cases, death may occur. Treatment is by induced vomiting and administration of activated charcoal; physostigmine salicylate may be used in severe cases to reverse the anticholinergic effects.
References in periodicals archive ?
For example, ingestion of ginseng (Panax ginseng) bought in China has occasionally produced anticholinergic poisoning.