alfacalcidol

alfacalcidol

 [al″fah-kal´sĭ-dol]
a synthetic analogue of calcitriol, to which it is converted in the liver; used in the treatment of hypocalcemia, hypophosphatemia, rickets, and osteodystrophy associated with various medical conditions including chronic renal failure and hypoparathyroidism, administered orally or intravenously.

al·fa·cal·ci·dol

(al-fă-kal'si-dol),
A derivative of vitamin D used in the treatment of hypoparathyroidism, vitamin D-dependent rickets, and rickets associated with malabsorption syndromes.

alfacalcidol

/al·fa·cal·ci·dol/ (al″fah-kal´sĭ-dol) a synthetic analogue of calcitriol, used in the treatment of hypocalcemia, hypophosphatemia, rickets, and osteodystrophy associated with various medical conditions.

alfacalcidol

[al′fah-kal′si-dol]
a synthetic analog of calcitriol, to which it is converted in the liver. It is used in the treatment of hypocalcemia, hypophosphatemia, rickets, and osteodystrophy associated with various medical conditions, including chronic renal failure and hypoparathyroidism. Alfacalcidol is administered orally or intravenously.

alfacalcidol

A synthetic form of vitamin D used to treat low blood calcium and bone softening (OSTEOMALACIA) caused by kidney disease. Brand names are Alfad and One-alpha.
References in periodicals archive ?
The TOP5 products for sales value in 2014 are zoledronic acid, salmon calcitonin, alendronate sodium, alfacalcidol and sodium ibandronate which take up a market share of over 80%, leaving less than 20% to the rest products.
The combination therapy with alfacalcidol and risedronate improves the mechanical property in lumbar spine by affecting the material properties in an ovariectomized rat model of osteoporosis.
Subjects were treated with active vitamin D sterols that included alfacalcidol, doxercalciferol, calcitriol, maxacalcitol, falecalcitriol, or paricalcitol.
3]) 12-18 years: 10 000-40 000 units/day Alfacalcidol Oral drops (2 [micro]g/ml): >20 kg: 15-30 ng/kg/day; > 20 kg: 250-500 ng/day Children (aged 12-18 years): 250-500 ng/day Ergocalciferol Intramuscular injection (300 000 (vitamin units/ml) 30 000-60 000 units/month [D.
Vitamin D3 has been shown to minimize this risk, while vitamin D2 as well as alfacalcidol and calcitriol have been found to be ineffective.
After this improvement, the patient stopped complying with her carbimazole and alfacalcidol treatment regimen, and the results of thyroid function tests returned to near pretreatment concentrations [fT4, 58.
Alfacalcidol reduces the number of fallers in a community-dwelling elderly population with a minimum calcium intake of more than 500mg daily.
Treatment with alfacalcidol in elderly people significantly decreases the high risk of falls associated with a low creatinine clearence of 65< ml/min.
Potential for Alfacalcidol (One hypercalcemia and alpha[R]) hyperphosphatemia Requires liver hydroxylation to be active.
In one United Kingdom series of 50 patients operated on in a day-surgery setting, all were discharged with oral calcium of 800 mg twice daily and alfacalcidol 1 [micro]g daily.
A total of 1,087 patients were randomly allocated to receive a once-daily oral dose of either eldecalcitol or alfacalcidol, and the incidence of new vertebral fractures in both groups was monitored for a period of three years.