alcohol dependence syndrome
alcohol dependence syndromeA substance-related disorder which is diagnosed based on DSM-IV criteria for all dependence, requiring at least three of the following seven manifest during a 12-month period:
• Withdrawal symptoms, or clinically defined Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome;
• Use in larger amounts or for longer periods than intended;
• Persistent desire to continue drinking or unsuccessful efforts to reduce alcohol use;
• Excess time spent obtaining alcohol or recuperating from its effects;
• Personal, social, occupational or recreational activities are compromised due to all use;
• Alcohol use continues despite knowledge of its physical or psychological effects.