References in periodicals archive ?
Although scholars before Macpherson had cited this passage as an adumbration of the "economic man" of the classical school, Macpherson made it the locus of a full-blown, neo-Marxist account of the ideological foundations of early-modern capitalism.
Christians who held this view did not dismiss other religions outright but believed they contained an adumbration of the truth that would be fully realized in Christianity, in which case the heathen religions would be supplanted.
In Joseph Kenny's adumbration of John Henry Newman's conception of the role of a modern university, the following points consistent with earlier submissions are worthy of attention: The university is a place in which to teach universal knowledge (not necessarily a haven for research) where universal knowledge embraces all knowledge from literature and history (the story of man), science (the story of nature) to theology (the story of God), with interdisciplinary intercourse to transcend the mere acquisition of professional skills and narrow competencies such as the cramming of facts to a liberal, synthetic, critical mind attracting students and renowned professors from far and wide (Kenny, J.
Heilbrunn's adumbration of neoconservatism's left-wing provenance makes for compelling reading--and acts as a useful field guide to the current schisms on the right.
15, 87) that "mono-causal" theories of history and economics are inadequate, thus opening the door to this later adumbration.
It was some brilliant adumbration, Romantic propositivism left in the wing for dust, live and postresistible, quiescence a Cage could at best have dreamt of.
This argument has been seen--correctly, I think--as an adumbration of the totalitarian regimes that emerged in the twentieth century; but it also continues a tradition of utopian thinking that began with Plato.
THE INTERNAL DEBATE within the Bush administration over the prerogatives of executive power requires little adumbration.
Augustine, had credited Platonism with an adumbration of Christian Trinitarianism, Conway exemplifies their possible conflict.
Every aspect of this novel is an adumbration of the predicament of fathers estranged from their families, sometimes, as in this case, through no fault of their own, and that is all it is; an extended political exemplification of the 'a man from my constituency' type.
If this adumbration of the principles of practical Kantian reasoning may be disputed, what cannot be in dispute is that judges do confront what Ronald Dworkin has characterized as "hard cases"; cases in which rights and duties conflict.
All the talk about the ancients versus the moderns conceals the real game, which is to present the past as a backdrop to late modernity, or as the adumbration of "principles" that we only see given full form in contemporary America.
Medical browser ?
- adult rickets
- adult rotavirus
- adult stem cell
- ADULT syndrome
- adult T-cell leukaemia-lymphoma
- adult T-cell leukemia-lymphoma
- adult T-cell lymphoma
- adult teeth
- adult temper tantrum
- adult tuberculosis
- adult-form of Niemann-Pick disease
- adult-onset diabetes
- adult-onset diabetes mellitus
- adult-onset foveomacular vitelliform dystrophy
- adult-onset gangliosidosis
- adult-onset obesity
- adult-onset Still's disease
- adult-type cerebral sphingolipidosis
- advance beneficiary notice
- Advance Coverage Decision
- Advance Decision
- advance directive
- advance directives
- advance medical directive
- ADVANCE MI
- Advance Statement
- Advance Statement/Directive
- Advanced Access
- advanced beneficiary notice
- Advanced Best of Five Question
- Advanced Breast Biopsy Instrument
- advanced burn life support
- advanced cardiac life support
- Advanced Cardiac Mapping
- advanced certified music therapist
- Advanced Digital Network
- advanced emergency medical technician
Full browser ?
- Adults with Learning Difficulties
- Adults with Learning Difficulties or Disabilities
- Adults with Learning Disabilities
- Adults without Identified Dysfunctional Family Histories
- Adults Working and Advocating for Kids' Empowerment
- Adults, with Reservations