Patient discussion about cat scratch disease
!!! The questions and answers on this page are written by patients and are not reviewed by health professionals.
Q. Is there any information out there regarding a severe allergy to cat scratches?
Is there any information out there regarding a severe allergy to cat scratches? I am not referring to "cat scratch fever" disease, but an allergy where the site of the scratch becomes swollen and red, and the person has hives and trouble breathing. Thanks so much!
|A1||Greetings Humble Earthling! It sounds like you have two or more things going on. First, cat scratch fever is caused by a parasite and comes on 1 to 2 weeks after the scratch. Allergic reactions are immediate.|
Now, if the site of the scratch is swollen and red, that could be due to minor infection and just the process of healing.
|A2||that sounds...well...weird. usually allergies caused by cats are from it's dandruff not by it's scratches. this is why there are breathing problems (you breath cats' dandruff...yak...). so "allergy" to scratching would not present that way. is he allergic to cat's in general? are you sure it's not any kind of infection? this should be checked up by a doctor.|
|A3||Cat scratches hurt! I know I have been scratched plenty! You can use peroxide to clean the scratch out and continue to wash with soap and water. As to the hives, that would be an allergic reaction to something that was on the cat's claw only if it happened right away. If it has been days, then you are probably reacting to something else. Same for the difficulty breathing. Anaphylactic shock would have occurred within minutes of the scratch.....long before it had time to become swollen and red. You have to keep in mind that just because one event follows another (the hives after the cat scratch) it does not mean that the first event caused the second. Keep the scratch clean and give it a few weeks to heal. If the hives and difficulty breathing (do you mean you are short of breath..or are you congested) continue.....get yourself to an immunologist or allergist.|
This content is provided by iMedix and is subject to iMedix Terms. The Questions and Answers are not endorsed or recommended and are made available by patients, not doctors.