Welsh Demographic Services
Welsh Demographic ServicesInformations services which manage administrative (demographic) data for NHS patients in Wales, and replaced NHS Wales Administrative Register (NHSAR). WDS maintains a register of Welsh residents’ demographic details, including name, address, date of birth, GP and NHS Number.
WDS information sharing with NHS England to:
• Manage patient's paper medical records between GP practices;
• Call and recall women for cervical and breast screening programmes;
• Allocate NHS numbers for patients and babies;
• Pay contractors—e.g., pharmacists and GPs;
• Trace patient details to facilitate payment for non-contract activity in secondary care;
• Trace patient details as part of child protection processes;
• Maintain blood and organ donor details.