avoidant personality disorder(redirected from Reluctant to take risks)
Also found in: Dictionary.
characterized by avoidance or moving away from something.
avoidant disorder of childhood and adolescence former name for a disorder now included under the diagnosis of social phobia.
avoidant personality disorder a personality disorder marked by extreme shyness and sensitivity to rejection. Because of this sensitivity, the person becomes socially withdrawn and forms relationships only with those willing to give uncritical acceptance. The self-esteem of such a person is naturally low. Fear of embarrassment prevents the patient from undertaking risks or new activities. In spite of the social withdrawal, the avoidant personality has a great desire for affection and companionship.
a·void·ant per·son·al·i·ty dis·or·der
1. an enduring and pervasive pattern in adulthood characterized by hypersensitivity to rejection, humiliation, shame, feelings of inadequacy resulting in social inhibition, and an unwillingness to enter into relationships without unusually strong guarantees of uncritical acceptance.
2. a DSM diagnosis that is established when the specified criteria are met.
Synonym(s): avoidant personality
avoidant personality disorder
A personality disorder characterized by fear of rejection or disapproval in social situations, feelings of inadequacy, and extreme sensitivity to criticism.
avoidant personality disorderPsychology A pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, and hypersensitivity to negative evaluation, which begins by early adulthood, and is present in various contexts
- Avoidant personality disorder-DSM 301.82
- Requires 4 + of the following
- Avoids occupational activities
- involving significant interpersonal contact, due to fear of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
- Unwilling to get involved
- with people unless certain of being liked
- Restraint in intimate relationships
- due to fear of ridicule or shame
- with social criticism or rejection
- Inhibited in new interpersonal situations
- due to feelings of inadequacy
- Negative self image
- Views self as socially inept, unappealing, or inferior to others
- Reluctant to take risks
- or engage in activites that have the potential for being embarrassing