polygyny(redirected from Polygany)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Polygany: polygamist, polygynous
a form of marriage in which a man has two or more wives at the same time.
1. polygamy in which a man is married concurrently to more than one woman.
2. animal mating in which the male mates with more than one female.
3. union of two or more female pronuclei with one male pronucleus, resulting in polyploidy of the zygote.
polygynyA mating system in which one male mates with more than one female.
polygynyMarriage to more than one woman, simultaneously.
polygynya system of POLYGAMY in which the male has several female mating partners at one time. Compare POLYANDRY.
1. union of two or more female pronuclei with one male pronucleus, resulting in polyploidy of the zygote.
2. as a male, having more than one mate.