Also found in: Dictionary.
Related to Neoclarityn: Desloratadine, Clarinex Reditabs, Claramax
Aerius (CA), Clarinex, Clarinex Reditabs, Neoclarityn (UK)
Pharmacologic class: Peripherally selective piperidine, selective histamine1-receptor antagonist
Therapeutic class: Antihistamine (nonsedating, second generation)
Pregnancy risk category C
Suppresses histamine release at peripheral histamine1-receptor sites
Syrup: 2.5 mg/5 ml
Tablets: 5 mg
Tablets (orally disintegrating): 2.5 mg, 5 mg
⊘Indications and dosages
➣ Seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis; chronic idiopathic urticaria and allergies caused by indoor and outdoor allergens; pruritus; to reduce number and size of hives
Adults and children ages 12 and older: 5 mg/day P.O.
Children ages 6 to 11: 1 tsp (2.5 mg/5 ml syrup) P.O. once daily
Children ages 12 months to 5 years: ⁄2 tsp (1.25 mg in 2.5 ml syrup) P.O. once daily
Children ages 6 to 11 months: 2 ml (1 mg syrup) P.O. once daily
• Hepatic or renal impairment
• Hypersensitivity to drug, its components, or loratadine
Use cautiously in:
• renal or hepatic impairment
• elderly patients
• pregnant or breastfeeding patients
• children younger than age 12 (safety and efficacy not established, except syrup).
• Give with or without food.
CNS: dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, headache
CV: tachycardia, palpitations
EENT: pharyngitis, dry throat
GI: nausea, dyspepsia, dry mouth
Other: flulike symptoms, hypersensitivity reaction
Drug-diagnostic tests.Bilirubin, hepatic enzymes: increased values
Skin tests: interference with positive reaction to dermal reactivity indicators
• Monitor hepatic and renal function test results.
• Tell patient he may take drug with or without food.
• Instruct patient to report rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, rash, persistent flulike symptoms, or muscle ache.
• Caution patient to avoid driving and other hazardous activities until he knows how drug affects concentration and alertness.
• As appropriate, review all other significant adverse reactions and interactions, especially those related to the tests mentioned above.